Re: EBSCO Subscription Services (Emily McElroy) Marcia Tuttle 17 Apr 2001 20:36 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:33:59 -0500
From: Emily McElroy <emcelro@WPO.IT.LUC.EDU>

We have been very pleased with EBSCO's service.  We have found our claim
follow the industry standard when it comes to claim responses, maybe even
better based on previous experiences I have had with other subscription
vendors.

In previous library positions, I had poor responses with claims and simple
bibliographic issues with agents other than EBSCO.  It seemed like we
ended up cleaning up the agent's title database since they were always
unaware of any cessations or title changes.  EBSCO is the opposite.  They
keep us informed of any bibliographic issues.  We have several people
working on our account who are great about getting back to us whenever we
have a problem.  With other agents, I never had that type of excellent
customer service.

We are receiving a few more supplementary invoices than we would like but
I place the blame more with the publishers than I do with EBSCO.

Emily

Emily McElroy
Serials & Electronic Collections Librarian
Loyola University Health Sciences Library
2160 S. First Ave.
Maywood, IL  60153

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:56:21 -0500
From: Linda Fairbanks <lfairban@TRITON.CC.IL.US>
Subject: Re: Centrobe / Neodata of Boulder,
                  CO:  A Plea for Responses (Stephen Perisho)

Hi Stephen
Your message really strikes home. Last Friday I spent time writing a
similar rant about EBSCOhost, who handles our periodical subscriptions. We
have had a terrible time with publishers sending us two or even three
subsriptions where we only (should!) have one and it has taken EBSCO way
too long to stop it. We also get price increases passed on to us
constantly. Admitedly, I'm new to managing serials, but I would have
thought that having paid for a year's subscription, I'd get a year at that
price. Do all subscription services simply agree to and then send on,
publishers random price increases? I'm not sure which made me angrier, the
invoice for a $6 price rise  or the one for a couple thousand. I wish I
could tell you I was happy with my service, but I'm not. Does anybody out
there LIKE their subscription service?
Linda
Linda C. Fairbanks
Director of Technical Services