Arranging academic periodicals (5 messages) Marcia Tuttle 01 May 2001 20:32 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:29:09 -0500
From: Peter V. Picerno <ppicerno@UTMEM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Arranging academic periodicals (2 messages)

It seems to matter little what system one uses, at least to patrons: I've
heard arguments for both sides of the issue with the informal conclusion
that patrons get used to whatever system one uses. Having said that,
however, the more important issue for librarians is the work-flow and
work-related issue associated with either method. Will there be a 'current
reading area' where all new or unbound issues are collected and held? I
would strongly recommend this from the standpoint not only of user
convenience but also for ease in keeping up with things like binding as
well as different treatments of bound vs. unbound journals in terms of
their circulation as well as shelving. It has been my experience that
where unbound issues are shelved along side bound journals there is much
more likelyhood of lost, damaged, or mis-shelved unbound issues, whereas
there is greater control of these issues when they are collected in one
place (i.e., a current reading area). If the location of the periodicals
work room, furthermore, is able to adjoin this area, staff maintenance of
the journal collection is greatly facilitated. If unbound issues don't
circulate, their use and reshelving is easier to deal with in one area
rather than if they are spread throughout the collection. In the best of
all worlds (in my fantasy library), a current reading area would adjoin
the work area and that area would be buffered by public-access copiers
from the bound journal collection.

Peter Picerno

Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:38:54 -0600
From: Dana Belcher <dbelcher@MAILCLERK.ECOK.EDU>
Subject: Arranging academic periodicals (Karen Munro) -Reply

When we moved into our new facility 4 years ago, we decided to have a
periodicals floor.  It was the best decision we ever made since all
formats are included.  Before, bounds were on various floors, microforms
in the basement, and the currents in another room.  Also, the copiers and
reader/printers were yet in another area.  We keep the currents and
microforms in title order with the bounds being LC classified.  The
students don't seem to mind looking the call numbers up in the catalog
since they have to go there to see our holdings anyway.

Dana Belcher, Periodicals/Acquisitions Librarian
East Central University
Linscheid Library
1100 E. 14th
Ada, OK 74820
580-310-5564

----------(3)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 08:59:40 -0500
From: Carol Green <Carol.Green@USM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Arranging academic periodicals (Karen Munro)

For many years all of our periodicals were arranged alphabetically
with the bound periodicals shelved on one floor, the current unbound
issues and newspapers shelved in a separate reading room and
microforms in another room.  Needless to say, users were running
all over the place.

When we built a new library the decision was made to arrange
everything in LC order.  The reading room contains the current year
plus 3 prior years of unbound/bound periodicals......right now 1998-
2001 are there.  That span of years seems to be what most of our
students need for basic research papers.  After that the bound volumes
are shifted annually to the regular stacks and intershelved with the books.
Also the newspapers and microforms are in the reading room.  The only
periodicals we have that are still arranged in alphabetical order are the
periodicals microfiche.  That's because we could not come up with a
satisfactory way to put the call# on them.

Of course there are some who prefer alphabetical order, but for the
most part the users seem to like LC order.  It facilitates browsing within
subject areas....I've had several students and faculty remark that they
found titles they didn't know about just because they could browse
by subject.

We have a regional campus with a library that still arranges periodicals
alphabetically, but it is much smaller and works for them.  They are in
the process of building a new library, but I don't know if they plan to move
to LC order in the future.

More than you wanted to know!

Carol D. Green
Serials Librarian, Associate Professor
The University of Southern Mississippi
USM Libraries
Box 5053
Hattiesburg, MS  39406-5053
(601) 266-4476  (601) 266-6033 fax
Carol.Green@usm.edu

----------(4)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:42:15 -0400
From: "White, Trenita" <trenita.white@SANTAFE.CC.FL.US>

We have our periodicals in a separate collection arranged in order by
title. Most of the time, the patron has the title of the journal and it is
easier for them to search this way.

Trenita White
Serial/ILL
Santa Fe Community College Library
3000 NW 83 Street
Gainesville, Florida 32606
(352) 395-5771

----------(5)
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:45:34 -0400
From: DEberso@UTNET.UTOLEDO.EDU

Either classifying, the subject approach, or the title approach will
work.  Each has their advantages.  First one should consider the
library's clientele.  Do they ask for periodicals by title?  Or, do they
often ask for what periodicals you have, where a subject approach would
be helpful?  They will Also, one could shelve current periodicals by
title instead by classification, or vice versa.

Online catalogs make both arrangements very easy to use.  Displaying the
call number along with the holdings information could make it easier to
find titles that have multiple names such as JAMA, etc.  Where looking
up each title is stressed in class presentations, it would not be a
problem to look up call numbers.    Creating periodical lists with call
numbers is very easy, and these can be quickly and inexpensively printed
on networked laser printers.

Shelving is the area in which classifying periodicals has the biggest
advantage.  Simple title changes file next to those of the previous
title by using the same call no.   This is easier for patrons and staff.
Titles in the same subject will shelve together no matter what part of
the alphabet the title starts with.  Less time will be spent in shifting
the classified collection due to title changes and additions.  The
science and technology areas in the classified collection will need
attention to provide the requisite amount of space for the addition of
new titles, etc. since most periodical titles will classify here.  For
usage sake a title can be easily moved to another area by changing the
title's call number.  The availability of compact storage for little
used back files is also a consideration.

Accessibility to on-line collections of full-text articles such as
through the OhioLINK 's Electronic Journal Center, will impact the use
of periodicals.  For the present back files of periodicals will provide
an essential backup in cases where access is lost to the on-line files.
Students will prefer on-line full-text since it is so easy to manipulate
into papers that can be quickly assembled and printed, or submitted in
electronic format.

The final decision is really a judgment call using the above factors
plus local considerations.   The input of faculty and students may be
sought.  If using survey instruments  be certain you find out how they
really use your library, not how they think it should be used.

I have worked in libraries with both arrangements.  While at the
University of Houston where I was a Science Reference Librarian, I
helped plan the move from title arrangement into a merged classified
arrangement.  At the University of Toledo I have served both as a
Reference Librarian and as a Serials Cataloger.  Also, I have planned
the floor layouts and the move of the collections into Carlson Library.
Recently, I planned the shift of the entire periodicals collection
utilizing a spread sheet to plan the move.

Dale Ebersole