Re: Volume numbers (Frieda Rosenberg) Marcia Tuttle 10 May 2001 17:37 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:32:27 -0400
From: Frieda Rosenberg <friedat@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: Volume numbers (Laura C. Wood)

Laura,

   The intent of the rule (which may be modified soon, by the way) is (a)
to prevent duplication of volume numbering for shelving purposes and (b)
to follow the intent of the publisher (in that restarting the numbering
shows intent to make a new publication).  Clearly a number which
represents a date isn't part of this calculation, and you need not make a
new record.  I think your note would be nice even though the situation is
fairly clear without it.

Regards,
Frieda Rosenberg
Serials Cataloging
UNC--Chapel Hill
friedat@email.unc.edu

Laura Wood wrote:
 I know that according to Conser documentation and other rules, when the
numbering begins again with #1 without a "new series" designation, you
are supposed to create a new title record.  Since the volume goes to v.
00 (and not back to v. 1) do you create a new title record? Are you
doing anything special with volume 00? Or just make a 515 note that the
volume is the last two digits of the year?