Microfilm disposal (Tracey Delillo) Marcia Tuttle 23 May 2001 23:37 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 15:54:38 -0500
From: tracey delillo <tdelillo@FALCON.TAMUCC.EDU>
Subject: microfilm disposal

All,

We have a small box full of old microfilm reels that we need to discard.
We have unsuccessfully attempted to give them away, and are now faced with
actually throwing them away (i know, i know, it's a horrid thing, but my
"collection" of useless items has begun to take over my office...).  My
question is:  is old microfilm dangerous (as in explosive or harmful to
the environment), and if so, can anyone suggest a disposal service?
forgive me if this seems like a silly question - i'm still haunted by a
preservation class i took 3 years ago in which we discussed the explosive
and otherwise toxic properties of old film.

i pose this question since i know a good many Serials folks are also
microform experts - i suppose i can turn to the preservation listserv if
need be.

thanks for any info.
-Tracey

Tracey DeLillo