Re: Bindery & Electronic Journals -- 3 messages Stephen Clark 28 Jun 2001 19:30 UTC

3 messages:

1)-------------------------------

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Bindery & Electronic Journals -- Terry Schiissler
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:57:50 -0400
From: Linda Cracknell <lcrackne@WLU.CA>

Linda Cracknell
Head. Acquisitions              Tel: (519) 884-0710 ex. 3303
Wilfrid Laurier University      Fax: (519) 884-8023
75 University Ave. West         email: lcrackne@wlu.ca
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3C5
Canada

Hello fellow SERIALSTers,

Many libraries are able to access journals electronically, or  have
journals within their collections included in many of the electronic
databases,  now available (either through a consortial arrangement or
through outright purchase).

My question is - how has this affected your bindery or pre-bindery
operations?

**To date not at all because we haven't cancelled print when electronic
is
available.  We are, however, starting to seriously think about such
cancellations when we believe electronic will consistently "be there."

Have you maintained your bindery budget at the same levels or at
reduced levels?

***Increased only to keep up with inflation.

Do you still bind materials that are now being received in an
electronic format?

*** Yes

Are you giving any thought to stop binding altogether?

*** NO

Are you using the bindery operation for monographic rebinds only now
that many journals are available electronically?

** Half the time is spent binding journals and the other monographs and
other material in order to protect the collection.  Any decrease in
binding
journals will be picked up by the monograph collection.

Have you had time and the labour/staff to be able to verify what should
or should not be bound because of journals being available
electronically?

*** No

Are there any other bindery questions I should be thinking of because
of journals now being received in electronic form?

I do not know if I can summarize for the list and am hoping the replies
can be posted to the list.

Many thanks in advance for all your thoughts

2)----------------------------
    Date:  Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:06:02 -0400
    From: "Leslie O'Brien" <lobrien@VT.EDU>

At Virginia Tech we continue to bind our journals, regardless of whether
they are available electronically.  We have cancelled our paper
subscriptions to many electronic journals, but we still bind the paper
subs we do get.  Our binding budget has decreased significantly over the
past 4 years because of serials cancellations and because we quit
binding all our monographs.

Perhaps the only impact electronic journals have had on our binding
policies is that we may not try so hard to get a missing issue if the
journal is available electronically.
We tend to go to great lengths to replace missing issues and not bind
incomplete volumes.