Re: If you're going to San Francisco.... -- Mitch Turitz Stephen D. Clark 06 Jun 2001 14:58 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: If you're going to San Francisco....
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:18:39 -0700
From: Mitch Turitz <turitz@sfsu.edu>

In addition to Gene's recommendations, I have some on my web page
(including pics I've taken of the Golden Gate bridge):

http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~turitz/SANFRAN.htm

Please note: I have not updated the page in a while so I have not
checked all the links recently to see if they are still functional.

One late addition: San Francisco Muni (local transit):
http://www.sfmuni.com/home/home40.htm
includes clickable maps, routes, etc.

Also, a word of weather warning:
  Just because San Francisco is located in California, that does NOT
mean it is warm in the summer!  Mark Twain is alleged to have said,
"The coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco."
Please come prepared for cold foggy weather as well as sunny days.
In a single day the temperature can vary widely, especially among
different parts of the city.
   Be prepared to dress in layers and remove (or add on) as necessary.
Often the mornings start off foggy and cool, then the sun comes out
in mid-morning, then in the late afternoon, the fog rolls back in.
   Also a fun tourist place I recommend is Pier 39:
http://www.pier39.com/
   Lots of restaurants, shops and you can get a good view of Alcatraz.
-- Mitch Turitz

Date:    Fri, 1 Jun 2001 07:49:47 -0400
From:    Gene Kinnaly <gkin@loc.gov>
Subject: If you're going to San Francisco....

... be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.*

(sorry - couldn't help myself) (*Scott McKenzie, 1967)

If you're attending ALA Annual in San Francisco, you may find the
following websites of some use:

Bay Area Transit Information --
      http://www.transitinfo.org/

BayInsider.com --
      http://www.bayinsider.com/

Golden Gate National Recreation Area --
      http://www.nps.gov/goga/

San Francisco Bay Area Weather --
      http://www.nws.mbay.net/home.html

San Francisco Chronicle --
      http://www.sfgate.com/

San Francisco Convention & Visitors Bureau --
      http://www.sfvisitor.org/

SanFrancisco.com --
      http://www.sanfrancisco.com/

-- Gene

   Gene Kinnaly  Senior Cataloger  Computer Files & Microforms
   Special Materials Cataloging Division   Library of Congress
  101 Independence Avenue SE          Washington DC  20540-4371
email: gkin@loc.gov  voice: (202) 707-1501  fax: (202) 707-7161