Re: Bindery & Electronic Journals (Werner Lind) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 02 Jul 2001 15:09 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 10:43:46 -0400
From: Werner Lind <wlind@MAIL.BLUEFIELD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Bindery & Electronic Journals -- Terry Schiissler

    Our policy here has been not to retain bound volumes where the full
text is available on JSTOR, and not to bind unbound runs of the same
titles that are more current than JSTOR's "moving wall."  However,
although very expensive paper subscriptions to titles for which we have
current full-text online access have been dropped, we still bind the paper
copies of these which we already have, to make them easier to store and
handle, and we have not reduced our bindery budget, since many of the
other titles we need to bind are not available here in an online form.
We are committed to maintaining as much paper access to useful periodicals
as we can afford and have space to store; we use the electronic format as
a supplement to stretch these limitations, not as a replacement for the
paper format.  So far, identifying titles to which we have online access
has not been too time-consuming.

    We are a small library with a limited budget, only about 200
periodical subscriptions, and a very irregular binding schedule depending
largely on budgetary considerations.  Since your library's circumstances
and your philosophical approach to the problem may well differ, our
practice may or may not have any usefulness as an example for you.

--
Werner A. Lind
Reference Librarian