Re: Serial check-in using SICI barcode? Deej Baker 31 Jul 2001 21:33 UTC

We use Sirsi which makes it a bit harder to use the sici because we have
13 locations and you have to choose the branch library to check it into
before you try to check it in. This can be rather difficult with some
titles, especially some of the science titles, it is hard to identify if
it is a math or a physics location from the title.

I find that using the barcode is a wonderful thing even with this small
difficulty. It can be much faster if your checkins have been properly
generated. I did a small study of this some years ago here at UVA and
found that only about 40% of our titles had the barcode sici on them and
then only about 20% worked properly, they were often misprinted or the bar
code reader could not read it well. This was about 5 years ago. I have not
studied this recently but just through observation it seems to me that
there are less titles with the bar sici on them. I personally would find
it useful if more publishers would include them on their journals. I have
asked our major vendor Faxon to encourage publishers to print it on their
journals.

If you do have influence in this area please do so. At this time with so
few titles using it I find it is not worthwhile to train my students to
use it. If the majority of titles had this it would be more efficient.

Thanks
Deej Baker

Deej Baker                      voice:  804-924-4958
Cataloging/Periodicals          fax:  804-982-4579
P.O. BOX 400151                 e:  dbc@virginia.edu
Alderman Library
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA  22904-4151