Re: Chat: Library Cats (4 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 09 Jul 2001 13:41 UTC

4 messages:

1)______

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:04:16 -0400
From: Donna Yanney Bennett <dyanney@MAIL.GCSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Chat: Library Cats (Donna Bennett)

Thanks to everyone for the information about library cats.  It was a fun
Friday discussion.  The definitive source appears to be

http://www.ironfrog.com/libcats/lcs.html

Now it's Monday morning and back to the grind!

Donna

At 01:43 PM 7/6/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:14:16 -0400
>From: Donna Yanney Bennett <dyanney@MAIL.GCSU.EDU>
>Subject: Chat:  Library Cats
>
>(Let's see if this will slip by the moderators on a Friday afternoon ... )
>
>Okay, this isn't a serials-related question, but this list provides such a
>wonderful access to such a wide variety of libraries and librarians and
>library staff that I simply can't pass up the opportunity to pick your
>brains.  My library is bandying about the idea (not too seriously) of
>acquiring a library cat.  I'm curious how many and what types of libraries
>have resident cats and whether or not on the whole it is a positive
>experience for all involved.
>
>Thanks much,
>
>Donna

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Donna Yanney Bennett, Serials Librarian
Georgia College & State University Library
Milledgeville, GA

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best-laid schemes o mice an men
Gang aft agley,
An lea'e us nought but grief an pain,
For promis'd joy!

           --Robert Burns, To a Mouse

                       Have a nice day!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

2)_____

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2001 08:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: BCohen7719@aol.com

***Please respond directly to Haworth Press, not to SERIALST. Thanks -- ed.

There is a "Library Cat Society" that is devoted solely to cats in
libraries.  I believe most of them are "working cats"--they keep mice
out in return for food & shelter.  Haworth Press published a free
little book(let) on "Cats & Libraries," and we'd be glad to send copies
to anyone who wants this.   If our inventory is out, we'd need some time
to reprint it, but that should not take very long.  With kind regards,

Bill Cohen, Publisher
The Haworth Press, inc.

Bill Cohen, Publisher
The Haworth Press, Inc.
10 Alice Street
Binghamton, New York 13904
<A HREF="http://www.haworthpress.com/">Haworth Home Page</A>

3)______

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 15:08:01 -0700
From: Mina Muessigmann <minamues@MAIL.SDSU.EDU>

A library here in the San Diego area was recently sued when their library
cat had an encounter with a patron's dog. I believe they managed to settle
for getting rid of the cat (i.e. finding it a new home, not putting it down.)
See articles below for more info (or do an Internet search for library cat
lawsuit)
http://www.libraryjournal.com/articles/news/thisweek/20010514_18616.asp
http://www.uniontrib.com/news/northcounty/20010519-9999_1mc19cat.html
http://www.nctimes.com/news/2001/20010517/110720.html

Mina Muessigmann
San Diego State University -- Love Library
Serials Cataloging -- LL 108
5500 Campanile Drive,  San Diego,  CA  92182-8050
(619)594-6755  email: minamues@mail.sdsu.edu

4)______

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 15:50:41 -0700
From: Kathleen <kathleen@email.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Chat: Library Cats (Peggy Reiners)

Our library had a library cat for a few brief weeks, back in the early '80s
after we moved into our current building.  The head librarian then was very
much a cat person, as are a large number of us here.  Unfortunately, the task
of keeping the litterbox clean fell to the office staff member who did NOT
like cats, and somehow the office door just happened to be open when the
cat/kitten could escape....    If you do get a cat or kitten, we'd advise
checking to be sure the person assigned to feed & keep its box clean is a
bonafide cat lover who will be delighted to help train it.

Kathleen Thorne
Collection Management Associate
San Jose State University