Stamper Inks (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 10 Jul 2001 20:20 UTC

2 messages:

1)______

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:22:42 -0400
From: Stephen Perisho <sperisho@IAS.EDU>
Subject: Stamper Inks (Joe Edelen)

Hi Joe:

        This isn't so good for the trees, but I've taken to covering the
stamp with a small sticky.  This both absorbs the excess, and protects the
stamp on the way to the periodicals reading room (at which point I remove
it; but it could be left on a bit longer).  This works pretty well for me.

Steve Perisho
Serials Assistant
Historical Studies-Social Science Library
Institute for Advanced Study
Einstein Drive
Princeton, New Jersey  08540
United States of America

Tel.:  609 734 8378; Fax:  609 951 4515
E-mail:  sperisho@ias.edu

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:19:11 -0500
From: "Edelen, Joe" <jedelen@USD.EDU>
Subject: Stamper Inks

We have recently started using a fast dry "Grocery Marking Ink" on our date
stamper for our current periodicals.  We started using this about 6 months
ago after asking around and finding this was recommended as an ink that
would dry on slick covers without smearing.  We stamp each issue on the
front cover with a date stamper.

Well, it does dry fast and won't smear - that part is great.  However, you
have to ink the stamper more than once a day and once you use a new stamp
pad for a number of weeks so much ink has dried in the pad (remember I said
it was a fast drying ink) that it does not accept reinking very well.  We
even pull the pad out of the stamper each night and put it in a sealed
plastic bag to retard drying.  I am hoping that there are others out there
who have solved the problem of stamping slick surfaces (a lot of our medical
journals are published in that format) and will take a minute to share their
experience.

Thanks
Joe Edelen
University of South Dakota

2)______

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:28:35 -0400
From: "Martin, Elizabeth" <EMartin@CWF.ORG>
Subject: Re: Stamper Inks (Joe Edelen)

Joe -

When I got this job, I was instructed to stamp only the newsprint and
"regular" paper issues, and for the glossy papers we stamp (and now print)
labels to place on the paper.  30 to the page laserjet labels work well when
stamping isn't a good option!

Beth Martin
John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library