Re: Stamper Inks (Marilee Rouillard) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 11 Jul 2001 13:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:03:55 -0400
From: "Rouillard, Marilee" <mrouilla@KEENE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Stamper Inks (Joe Edelen)

I make item records and put our barcode on the front cover.  It has the
imprint of our library on it.  I still stamp the inside with ink.  I use the
barcodes for statistical purposes and for the occasional check out. We
sometimes catch patrons who have removed the barcode because they think it
is part of our security system.... :)

Marilee H. Rouillard, Periodicals Supervisor
Mason Library, Keene State College
229 Main St.
Keene, NH  03435-3201

mrouilla@keene.edu    (603)358-2756

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:19:11 -0500
From: "Edelen, Joe" <jedelen@USD.EDU>
Subject: Stamper Inks

We have recently started using a fast dry "Grocery Marking Ink" on our date
stamper for our current periodicals.  We started using this about 6 months
ago after asking around and finding this was recommended as an ink that
would dry on slick covers without smearing.  We stamp each issue on the
front cover with a date stamper.

Well, it does dry fast and won't smear - that part is great.  However, you
have to ink the stamper more than once a day and once you use a new stamp
pad for a number of weeks so much ink has dried in the pad (remember I said
it was a fast drying ink) that it does not accept reinking very well.  We
even pull the pad out of the stamper each night and put it in a sealed
plastic bag to retard drying.  I am hoping that there are others out there
who have solved the problem of stamping slick surfaces (a lot of our medical
journals are published in that format) and will take a minute to share their
experience.

Thanks
Joe Edelen
University of South Dakota