Periodical binding vendors -Summary and thanks Jennifer van Sickle 19 Jul 2001 14:56 UTC

Dear SERIALST-ers,

I've been asked to summarize the results of my query for the list. I
received about fifteen replies.  For your reference, the list of binderies
from my original posting follows below.

For cost and quality of service, there were several very positive votes for
the following:

Page (New York State; notable was the 3 week turnaround time when 4 weeks
seems to be the norm for many other vendors)

Bridgeport (Agawam, MA)

Mutual Library Binding (Syracuse, NY)

There were also positive comments on the following:  Wert Bookbinding
(Grantville, PA), Milford (CA), Heckman's (particularly the Southeast), ICI
(VA), Library Binding Co. (Waco, TX),  and Roswell Bookbinders (AZ) who have
a 3 week turnaround time.

Houchen (NE) received several comments ranging from good to fair to poor
service which resulted in legal action.

ACME (Charlestown, MA)-There was one comment that they are far behind
schedule in releasing their web based version of ABLE.  It was promised over
two years ago, but it is still not ready.  They do have a 2 week turnaround
time.

 Thank you to everyone who replied so promptly!

Jennifer

    Original list:

> Acme Bookbinding              Charlestown, Mass.
> Bridgeport National   Agawam, Mass.
> Heckman Bindery               North Manchester, Ind.
> Kater-Crafts            Pico Rivera, Calif.
> Ocker & Trapp         Emerson, New Jersey
> Ridley's                      Ithaca, New York
> Wert Bookbinding              Grantville, Penn.
>

> ICI Binding (holding company for several
>  smaller binders)             Chesterfield, Ohio
> Utah Bookbinding Co.  Salt Lake City

 Jennifer van Sickle
 Serials Librarian/Science Bibliographer
 Trinity College Library