Re: Duplicate Issues (Jennifer van Sickle) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 01 Aug 2001 14:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:04:18 -0400
From: "van Sickle, Jennifer" <jennifer.vansickle@TRINCOLL.EDU>
Subject: FW: Duplicate issues

Dear Teri,

Do you receive lots of duplicates throughout the year?  I have found that
duplicates are most likely to turn up at the beginning of the calendar year
when subscriptions are renewed.  These are often weekly or monthly popular
magazines.  I was told by our subscription agent that these publishers tend
to enter subscription information prematurely, before verifying addresses,
thus increasing the likelihood of duplicates.  Therefore, we may see
duplicate mailing labels addressed to various combinations of our mailing
address: Library, Trinity College, Trinity College Library, Trinity College
Serials, etc.

We don't mind if we receive the occasional duplicate of a more scholarly
title.  These come in handy for binding.

I have told the staff who handle the mail here to give me copies of mailing
labels when/if this is a recurring problem.  Once I have the mailing labels,
I send it off to our agent and the duplicates usually stop shortly
thereafter.

I hope this is helpful.

Jennifer van Sickle
Serials Librarian/Science Bibliographer