Swets Blackwell to acquire Martinus Nijhoff International (Sarah Kellman) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 09 Aug 2001 15:56 UTC

Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 16:03:46 +0200
From: Sarah Kellman <skellman@SWETS.NL>
Subject: Swets Blackwell to acquire Martinus Nijhoff International

PRESS RELEASE

Lisse, the Netherlands

Swets Blackwell to acquire Martinus Nijhoff International

Swets Blackwell announced today an agreement to acquire Martinus Nijhoff
International, the Dutch subscription agent and book dealer, with immediate
effect. All activities currently handled from Nijhoff's head office in
Zoetermeer, the Netherlands, will continue until the April 2002 integration
of their subscription data into Swets Blackwell's system.

Swets Blackwell services Dutch libraries and information centers from their
office in Lisse, the Netherlands. Business currently serviced from Nijhoff's
local offices in the US, Brazil, Thailand, Bulgaria and Russia will be
gradually integrated into the Swets Blackwell system over the next eight
months.

Geert Visscher, CEO of Swets Blackwell, commented: "We are pleased that
Nijhoff, with whom we have a shared history and similar culture, will become
part of Swets Blackwell.  The addition of their prestigious clients will
complement and solidify our existing customer base." He added: "We look
forward to welcoming to our Lisse office many members of the Nijhoff staff
as new Swets Blackwell colleagues. Their knowledge and expertise will make
an extremely valuable contribution to our organization."

Bas Guijt, Managing Director of Martinus Nijhoff International, added:
"Swets Blackwell is highly regarded in the industry, and their reputation is
well deserved. We are confident that they will ensure our customers will
continue to receive the high quality service we prided ourselves on at
Nijhoff."

Martinus Nijhoff was founded in The Hague in 1853.  From its beginnings as a
small shop specializing in rare books, Nijhoff's activities were broadened
in the ensuing years to include the servicing of library markets around the
world. More information can be found at www.nijhoff.nl
<http://www.nijhoff.nl>

Swets Blackwell is one of the world's largest providers of subscription and
information management solutions. They have an annual turnover in excess of
US $1 billion and maintain 23 offices in 19 countries across six continents.
Swets Blackwell works in partnership with 65,000 major publishers and
suppliers of professional information, and offers complete solutions for the
needs of their 60,000 corporate, academic, research & development, medical,
and government library and information center clients worldwide.  Additional
information can be found by visiting www.swetsblackwell.com
<http://www.swetsblackwell.com>

Note to Editors:
For further information please contact Sarah Kellman, Communication
Executive.
Swets Blackwell
P.O.Box 830
2160 SZ Lisse