Re: Periodicals binding schedule (Merle Kimball) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Aug 2001 19:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:52:46 -0400
From: "Merle A. Kimball" <makimb@MAIL.WM.EDU>
Subject: Re: Periodicals binding schedule (Cecilia Leathem)

Cecilia,
    We have a two week binding turn-around with our bindery which helps
tremendously. Our heavy use of current periodicals occurs twice a year,
mid-March to the end of April, Mid-October to the first week in December. I look
at my bindery schedule and when items will be going out, then have all "pull for
bind" slips routed to me and I pick out the titles I do not want any volumes to
be pulled for binding purposes during these two time periods. This seems to work
very well and we can keep our binding operation going since we depend heavily on
student assistants to do the work. Usually there are a few titles I miss but it
seems to keep people happy.
    All of it depends on staffing, work loads, work flow, etc., so I think each
library has their own method.

Merle Kimball
Serials Collections Management and Preservation Librarian
Earl Gregg Swem Library
College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA  23187-8794

telephone: 757  221-3103