Re: Notice of New Listserv: Serial Change Notice (Susan Davis) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 15 Aug 2001 21:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:11:16 -0400
From: Susan Davis <unlsdb@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Re: Notice of New Listserv: Serial Change Notice (Claire Robb)

While I very much appreciate learning of title changes, numbering changes,
etc.  I must ask why another list is needed?  Is SERIALST no longer
interested in postings along this line?  Personally I like the one-stop
shopping of SERIALST. :-)

Have others looked closely at the terms and conditions at TOPICA?  It
contained indemnification language that my institution won't agree to in
licensing an electronic product.  I have not joined ERIL (also on
TOPICA) because of this clause.  I realize that one can view the messages
on the TOPICA site without joining the list, but I find it quite ironic
that *serials* librarians are establishing discussion lists with a service
whose terms and conditions are considered unacceptable in many
institutions.

I would like to hear more rationale behind the need for another list (I
know that the information is certainly needed!).  Since I suffer from
serious information overload :-)  I want to keep my list subscriptions to
a minimum.

Thank you.

Susan

(these opinions are my own and in no way reflect those of my institution)

Susan Davis                       Chair, Serials Section (ALCTS)
Head, Periodicals                    2001/02
Acquisitions Dept.
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Lockwood Library Bldg.
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200