Re: Checking in serials (Jeanette Skwor) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 16 Aug 2001 13:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:14:54 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Re: Checking in serials (Julie Su)

***I've done it both ways, and found the latter more efficient.  The problem
with an alphabetic pattern creation was that I've not been able to train my
things to come in as I expect them and therefore was *way* off with some
predictions, just "off" with many more.  That migration was to Notis which
would not allow checkin after the expected-on date and I ended up having to
"fix" patterns before I could checkin most of my issues.

***Now, with our migration to Voyager, I created as the issues came in.
Because I couldn't keep up at first, we did our checkins on an Excel spread
sheet - actually several spreadsheets, e.g., top shelf (referring to
periodicals that are traditionally on the top shelf of the checkin cart,
those that come in semiweekly, weekly, biweekly), "regular" periodicals,
serials, microfilm.  And I created patterns in somewhat-frequency order
also, beginning again, with items that come in more often than monthly, then
monthly, bimonthly, quarterly, etc.  All done with leaky edges and overlaps.

***But that is the way I would definitely do it again.
Good luck!

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept.
Cofrin Library
University of Wisconsin - Green Bay
Green Bay, WI 54311-7001
(920) 465-2670

> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:31:36 -0500 (CDT)
> From: "M. O'Neal" <moneal@library2.webster.edu>
> Subject: Re: III Millennium and Holdings Formats
> (Margaret Mering)
>
> Hi-I would like some information please.  I am about
> to change to III
> Millennium serials.  How did you do the entering for
> the check in of
> serials.   By the alphabet or as the periodicals
> came in.  Our present
> system is going down the end of October and we have
> approximately 2000
> titles.  They are not giving me much time.   Any
> help you can give me
> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Mary
>
> email: moneal@library2.webster.edu

=====
Julie Su
Digital Resources/Serials Librarian
Library and Information Services
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182-8050
619 594-0904 (work) 619 594-4093 (fax)
email:  julsu@yahoo.com