Re: Disappearing microform titles... (Noreen Fish) Marcia Tuttle 05 Sep 2001 13:36 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 17:12:28 -0500
From: Noreen <nrf@LACROSSE.LIB.WI.US>
Subject: Re: Disappearing microform titles... (Buddy Pennington)

While we only subscribed to the microfiche for three of the titles on the
list (Popular Science, Sky & Telescope and World Press Review), we too are
going to have to make some decisions about whether and how to keep the
print volumes.  I did e-mail World Press Review, explaining that we
subscribed to both the paper and the microfiche because we felt strongly
that the title should be available to our patrons for the long term and
keeping the paper forever was not a practical alternative.  I got a
singularly unhelpful reply suggesting that we subscribe to the magazine.
They obviously didn't even take the time to read my message through.

I have yet to discuss it with the rest of the staff here, but I suspect we
will probably decide to keep the paper copies somewhat longer than our
usual retentions (fifteen or twenty years instead of ten, perhaps), but
will not choose to bind them or store them beyond that point.  We made the
decision more than ten years ago to put resources into microfiche instead
of binding because it seemed the more practical alternative for the long
term.  I think the publishers are being extremely short-sighted.

--
Noreen Fish                e-mail: nrf@lacrosse.lib.wi.us
La Crosse Public Library      phone:  (608) 789-7144