Binding Schedule-Thank you! (Glenda M. Alvin) Marcia Tuttle 30 Oct 2001 17:57 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:38:06 -0600
From: "Alvin, Glenda M." <GALVIN@TNSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Binding Schedule-Thank you!

 I wish to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my query concerning
a binding schedule for periodicals.  We did not really have one and so we
are starting from the ground up with monthly shipments.  The two most common
pieces of advice I received was a) make sure the spine does not measure more
than 2-3 inches in width and b) weekly periodicals should be bound every 2
to 3 months.

 The bindery library assistant and I went up to the stacks (with a ruler)
and have begun pulling the weekly and bi-weekly issues.  We are setting up
procedures for replacing missing issues, placing binding frequency notes on
the online records, and doing regular claiming. We are also checking to see
which titles are full text in the library's databases and making decisions
about how long to keep the back issues.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

Glenda Alvin
Coordinator, Collection Management Dept.
Brown-Daniel Library
Tennessee State University
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd
Nashville, TN 37209