Re: Bindery Schedule (5 messages) Birdie MacLennan 10 Oct 2001 22:15 UTC

5 messages, 194 lines:

(1)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:34:43 -0400
From:         Sharon Wieczorek <swieczor@MERCYHURST.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Bindery Schedule

Dear Glenda,

We are a small academic college but I believe everyone deals with binding
the same way. Our schedule is dictated by the thickness of the item being
bound and budget constraints. There are some titles that go once every 2-3
years and then there is a title that is bound monthly. We send out a
shipment every month while receiving the previous month's shipment at the
same time. Our budget only allows 60 titles at a time to be sent. I try to
send the most used items in the off season or between terms.

Hope this helps.

Sharon Wieczorek
Serials Supervisor
Mercyhurst College
Technical Services
Erie, PA 16546 USA

tel:  814-824-2215
email: swieczor@mercyhurst.edu

(2)--------------------------
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:02:39 -0700
From:         Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>

We usually figure it out according to the thickness of the volume.  For
example, a bimonthly might be bound every year or every 2 years, a weekly
every 3 months unless it's so thick you have to go every 2 months.  Our
checkin system lets us set binding groups and delays notification one
issue after the group is completed so we have a current one on the
shelves.  Hope this helps.

Carol Morse

Carol Morse                          Tel.  509) 527-2684
Serials Librarian                    Fax   509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library          Email  morsca@wwc.edu
104 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.

(3)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:59:23 -0400
From:         Susan Davis <unlsdb@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>

Our general practice is to be most concerned with thickness, not
frequency, that is, you aspire to bind at optimum thickness, which we
define as 1 1/2-2 inches.  For many titles one volume or one year's worth
of issues fits this parameter.

For the weeklies, you should look at the pattern you have bound in the
past and check the actual volumes.  Is 3 months worth too thick? Think
about how the bound volume is used.  Can you copy the entire page, or is
it bound too thick so you can't open it up flat?  Is the margin so tight
that text is lost in binding?  Then bind thinner.

We try not to bind anything thicker than 2 1/2 inches for these reasons.
Otherwise you put tremendous strain on the volume and often end up with a
broken casing.

Our current system, NOTIS, does not have a binding module, so we record
the binding frequency on our check in record (bind every 6 months, 3
issues, year, volume, 2 years, etc.).

Hope this advice is helpful.

Susan
Susan Davis                       Chair, Serials Section (ALCTS)
Head, Periodicals                    2001/02
Acquisitions Dept.
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Lockwood Library Bldg.
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200
(716) 645-2784
(716) 645-5955 fax
unlsdb@acsu.buffalo.edu

(4)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:19:08 -0700
From:         Helen Clarke <clarkeh@GROUPWISE.DOUGLAS.BC.CA>

Here at Douglas College we send weeklies Jan-Mar; April-June; July-Sept;
Oct-Dec. Occasionally, we'll have to do these a little more frequently as
our bindery has difficulty handling items that are over 2" thick--so we
just keep the units to under that thickness and it works well.  With some
of the smaller units, we'll bind 2-3 volumes/years together.  It really
depends upon the standards your bindery has and the binding method they
use.  Sewn units can be a little larger, units that are notched/glued need
to be a little smaller (so you can photocopy without having pages falling
out). Hope this is of some help. Helen Clarke

Helen Clarke/Serials Assistant
Douglas College Library
P.O. Box 2503
New Westminster, BC V3L 5B2
Canada
(604) 527-5179 - phone
(604) 527-5193 - fax
<clarkeh@GROUPWISE.DOUGLAS.BC.CA>

(5)---------------------------
Date:         Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:42:53 -0500
From:         John Lucas <jlucas@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU>

Glenda:

I don't know of any 'standard' practice of how different frequency titles
should be bound.

Good rule of thumb is.  For now maintain the way your titles are being
bound and in your case you are at a large institution and by now the
frequency of binding should be pretty good.

However you always have to monitor those supplements, special issues etc
that will make volumes thicker.

Also watch what titles may come to you for repair, particularily for loose
pages.  In our case for the journal 'Science' we were binding each volume
separately. (there are several volumes/year)  However recently because
some of our earlier volumes were starting to have pages fall out, we
started splitting our volumes in 2 and going by issue number.

Take a look at your bindery rates.  Usuallly there is an extra charge for
volumes over X inches in thickness.  In terms of thickness, try to go no
larger that a comfortable spread between your thumb and the rest of your
fingers.  Uusally 2-2 ½ inches.  However some small sized titles you can
go thicker because they weigh less.

As the thickness (or size) of the issues increase or decrease, you might
want to (have to) go with more or fewer bound volumes per year.

As some publishers want more prestige (?) by having their volume numbers
higher, the do more volumes/year with fewer or thinner issues/volume.
There you will want to bind more than one volume in 1 physical unit.
(sometimes 2-3)

In terms of WHEN to bind, we usually like to have at least 1 issue of the
volume (or section of the existing volume) before.  However, if pages of
recent issues are already falling out of the issue (sometimes our American
J. of physiology ; Journal of biological chemistry) we will bind asap and
leave our shelves blank until the next issue.

Speaking of Am. j. ph and J. of biol. chem, these issues are so thick that
we bind each issue separately.

That's all I can think of:

Mostly common sense stuff.

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-1262