Re: Disappearing microform titles... (Austin McLean) Austin McLean 16 Oct 2001 18:48 UTC

Dear Buddy,

In your message regarding microform titles that have been removed from the
ProQuest Information and Learning Serials In Microform program for a
period of time then reinstated, you asked:

>Will ProQuest alert libraries that the titles are available again?

We save our customer list for each of the titles that were removed then
reinstated.  We attempt to contact customers (via email or telephone) to
alert them that a title has re-entered the program.  Sometimes, however,
we have not been able to reach the appropriate librarian.  Given this
situation, we suggest that customers review the list of added/deleted
titles that is sent each year with renewal notices.  This title list,
called the "Information Update," is the best source for all changes to the
serials microform program during the previous 12 months.

> Will a library's subscriptions be automatically renewed or will each
> library need to order the titles again?

Based on feedback from librarians, a new order for the title will need to
be placed.  Over the years when we have asked librarians about this issue,
they have indicated that placing an automatic order would not be their
preference, primarily due to budgeting issues. For example, if the order
was automatically reinstated some librarians told us that budget dollars
might not be immediately available to pay for the title(s).  Other issues,
such as what purchase order number to use, also played a role in
librarian's preferences for a manual re-order.

I hope this has answered your questions.  Please contact me if I can offer
any further assistance.

Best Regards

Austin McLean
Director, Publishing
ProQuest Information and Learning
300 N. Zeeb, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
phone:  (800) 521-0600 x6718
fax:  (603) 806-6109
austin.mclean@il.proquest.com

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:58:10 -0500
From: "MD_Buddy (Buddy Pennington)" <MD_Buddy@KCLIBRARY.ORG>
Subject: Disappearing microform titles...

Hi all,

In looking at our annual renewal list from ProQuest-Bell and Howell-UMI
(take your pick) we have discovered that several fairly popular titles are
no longer available on microfilm.  The list of titles that affects our
library are:

                 Audubon
                 Business Ethics Quarterly
                 MotorBoating
                 World Press Review
                 Country Music
                 Discover
                 Field and Stream
                 Journal of Career Planning and Employment
                 Kiplinger's Personal Finance
                 Outdoor Life,
                 Popular Science
                 Publications of the Modern Language Association of
America
                 Skiing Magazine
                 Sky and Telescope

 When I contacted our rep at ProQuest, we were told that the publishers
had decided not to continue to pay for microform.  We obviously can live
without the film for some of these titles, but it seems to me that the
publishers are making a big mistake discontinuing such titles as Popular
Science, Discover, World Press Review, etc.

 Is there anything we can do about this?  Also, what ideas do you have
about retaining this stuff?  We do not have room to bind the materials. We
can send the issues out to a vendor to film them, but many of these titles
have missing issues by the end of the volume (another important reason for
the film). And these other vendors charge more than ProQuest does.

                 Buddy Pennington
                 Document Delivery Librarian
                 Kansas City Public Library
                 md_buddy@kclibrary.org