Re: Dividing up serials cataloging (Carol Morse) Marcia Tuttle 01 Nov 2001 18:44 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:13:05 -0800
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Dividing up serials cataloging (Marilyn Quinn)

I can't give you advice, but here's what happened in our library.  The
head cataloguer has been here for many years.  Two or three years ago our
director prevailed upon him to start training me in cataloguing (I was
hired as the Serials Librarian 7 years ago).  I started doing book copy
cataloguing and some serials.  I went to several workshops.  I now do all
periodicals cataloguing.  Monographic series are treated as books and
carry call nos., so I don't work with them.  Journals do not, so it's much
simpler.  I have started to do web sites, since not many of the other
librarians have time.  I plan to start original cataloguing of serials
soon, when I get some other big projects done.  I must say that this works
because I have an excellent technician who knows how to do almost
everything, and does the bulk of student supervision.  I also have
wonderful colleagues, particularly the one who is teaching me to catalog.
I hope you also have a positive experience in your library.

Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509) 527-2684
Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
104 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.