Mail handling in serials (2 messages) Marcia Tuttle 01 Nov 2001 19:38 UTC

----------(1)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:07:19 -0600
From: "Fayad, Melissa H." <FayadM@MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mail handling in serials (Scott Wicks)

Concerning food at the desk during quarantine, what about the possibility of
ingested anthrax if it IS really anthrax?
Melissa H. Fayad
Library Assistant
University of Missouri-Columbia
Law Library
224 Hulston Hall
Columbia, MO  65211-4190

(573) 884-4455 (voice mail available)
fax (573) 882-9676
http://www.law.missouri.edu/library/
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:19:28 -0500
From: Lucy Duhon <LDuhon@UTNET.UTOLEDO.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mail Handling in Serials (Stephen Clark)

Stephen,

Similar to you, we've just been all-around more security-conscious.
We're more rigid about keeping our back (mailroom) door locked at all
times, and we're more alert to people coming and going.

We've also made latex gloves and masks available to our student
assistants who open the mail.  They seem grateful and relieved to have
this option!  We've also included Band-Aids and antiseptic lotion as
part of our "first-aid" package, and we're providing gallon-size
zip-lock bags.  If the students choose not to wear gloves, we ask them
to at least wash their hands frequently after handling mail.

We've also got a short list of "WHAT IF" instructions posted.  Just the
other day a couple of the students were mildly apprehensive about an
odd-looking envelope that came in with no return address.  They
immediately placed it in a zipper bag and removed it from the room.
Well, it turned out to be OK (after a bit of pondering and putting a
couple of heads together, we decided to take a chance opening it).  It
was good to see them vigilant though, and responding in the appropriate
manner -- putting what they've learned into practice.

The most difficult aspect of this whole ordeal is knowing when to make
something of a situation, and when not to -- one hates to cause an
uproar and drain resources over nothing.  The biggest danger of this
threat seems to be the widespread disruption it's managed to create.
But better to be safe.  Or alert, at least.

Lucy Duhon
Serials Librarian
Carlson Library/Serials Dept.
University of Toledo