Re: LCSH on MARC -- Marie Schneider Stephen Clark 30 Nov 2001 17:13 UTC

At 11:00 PM 11/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> [...]

We use a commercial CD-ROM product called Validator.  We like it.  It's
networkable.  It's the LC Authority file for names and subject
headings.  I
do not know if they can be purchased separately.  One caveat on the
names
-- it doesn't to diacritics very well.  The regular European languages
are
OK, but Russian, Polish, etc. diacritics do not show and for those I
need
to double check OCLC authority file.

It has worked very well for us.  We have it networked for three users.
It
has the full MARC display, but the fixed fields are in one long string
like
the MARC format rather than displayed in fixed field format like
OCLC.  Since the fixed fields are difficult to read, they also have a
Thesaurus view (similar to the Red Books) that shows if a subject
heading
can be geographically subdivided and in the browse window, it shows if
it
is a valid subject heading or if it is a cross reference.

Here's the address information of the vendor:
Library Systems
GRC International
PO Box 6770
Santa Barbara, CA 93160-6770

I've e-mailed Donna Bowrin-Marsh <dbowrin-marsh@grci.com> a few times,
but
it's been awhile, so I don't know if she is still there.

We pay $1,400 for an annual subscription with quarterly updates and
network
it to three people.

Hope this helps.

Marie