Ejournals -- catalog/web listing ( Mina Muessigmann) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 05 Nov 2001 22:53 UTC

Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:34:41 -0800
From: Mina Muessigmann <minamues@MAIL.SDSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: E-jnls in library catalog only or also a list of e-journals on the
 library web site (Katrina McKinlay)

We used to maintain a separate web page listing electronic journals
alphabetically. This was a duplication of effort, since we also cataloged
the e-journals on our OPAC. It became impossible to maintain as our number
of e-journals grew. Then someone (not me) had the brilliant idea to make
our OPAC do the work! Now the E-journal web page has A-Z links, each of
which performs a search (hidden to the user) in our Web OPAC for all
e-journals beginning with that letter and brings the user to a browse
screen (list) in the OPAC. Once the user clicks on the title desired, the
856 link in the bib record can take them to it. So, as soon as we catalog a
new journal in the OPAC, it is available on our list page.

We are also in the process of updating our e-journal subject page to use a
similar strategy. That is a much more difficult undertaking, as the
searches for each subject link must be constructed individually by subject
bibliographers to include/exclude titles for that subject. The page does
not use LC subject headings.

Feel free to send me an email if you would like more particulars on how we
accomplished this.

Mina Muessigmann
San Diego State University -- Love Library
Serials Cataloging -- LL 108
5500 Campanile Drive,  San Diego,  CA  92182-8050
(619)594-6755  email: minamues@mail.sdsu.edu