Need help categorizing periodicals (Liu Liu) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 08 Nov 2001 19:37 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 03:02:33 +0800
From: liu liu <liuliu@USA.COM>
Subject: I need help - categorizing periodicals

Hi,

    For statistical purposes, I was told to assign a broad subject category to each periodical in our collection, out of 24 subject categories: History, Political Sciences, sociology, Business, etc. I have also created a newspaper category to accommodate  newspapers which cannot be put into any subject categories.
My problem is with periodicals like Time and Newsweek?  The OCLC number is AP2 - which is not helpful at all.  Which category, do you think, is the closest to these news-magazines?  And also, I am undecided whether to class all newspapers into newspaper category irrespective of their contents, e.g. Wall Street Journal (to Newspaper), or should I class newspapers according to their subject (Wall Street Journal to Business) and only include newspapers that do not fit into any categories into newspaper category?

There is not a category called multi-disciplinary, nor am I allowed to use categories other than these 25 categories.

Please give me suggestions so that I can do the best I can and make my work more acceptable out of this mess.

Thanks.

Liu Liu

P.S. The 24 subject categories are:
Agriculture, Anthropology, Art, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Education, Engineering, Geography, History, Language & Literature, Law, Library Science, Mathematics, Medicine, Music, Performing Arts, Philosophy & Religion, Physical Education, Physical Sciences, Political Sciences, Psychology, Sociology.