Re: Need help categorizing periodicals (3 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 08 Nov 2001 21:48 UTC

3 messages:

1)_____

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 11:53:55 -0800
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Need help categorizing periodicals (Liu Liu)

We call those kind of serials "General" or "General Interest."  I believe
it's a common practice in libraries.
Carol Morse

*****
Carol Morse
Tel.  509) 527-2684
Serials Librarian
Fax 509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
104 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1195

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.
*****

2)______

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:53:44 -0600
From: "MD_Buddy (Buddy Pennington)" <MD_Buddy@KCLIBRARY.ORG>

Are any of your 24 categories close to current events, social sciences or
society, etc.?  Or if you had a General Interest category, Time and Newsweek
could go there.  Whatever you do, try to be consistent!

About the newspapers.  It could go either way.  My preference would be to
put all of the newspapers together.  I think it would make processing go
more smoothly and it keeps you from having to make difficult decisions about
what categories certain newspapers should go under.  if they are all in one
place, it makes things easier on staff and does not make it any harder on
users than breaking them up into the categories.

Buddy Pennington
Document Delivery Librarian
Kansas City Public Library
md_buddy@kclibrary.org
816-701-3552

3)_______

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:49:35 -0500
From: Naomi Young <naomi@SMATHERSNT2.UFLIB.UFL.EDU>

Perhaps you could make a general category, News, for both  general news
magazines and general newspapers? (Every system of classification really
*needs* a "general", "miscellaneous" or "other" category, in my opinion, but
if you aren't allowed to have one, "News" might be close enough.)

I would class the Wall Street Journal with business, but it wouldn't be
wrong to leave it with other newspapers, as their general news coverage is
an increasing part of its content, I believe.

Hope this helps,

Naomi Young

Naomi Kietzke Young ** Head, Serials Cataloging
Resource Services, University of Florida
PO Box 117007 Gainesville, FL 32611-7007