Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries (4 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 14 Nov 2001 16:05 UTC

4 messages:

1)_____

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:53:15 -0600
From: "McCracken, Leah" <mccracke@DAFFY.CORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries (Marcia
 Trauernight)

We do allow serials- periodicals- to circulate among faculty and staff.
There is a two day check out.  Students can ask the serials coordinator- me-
for special permission to check out a periodical.  They usually only need it
for a few hours -for a class- or to make a color copy somewhere else on
campus.  We do not have any grad students at our college but those who do
have borrowing privilege here can not check out periodicals.
Most other serials are kept in Reference and can not leave the library
without written permission from the librarian at the Reference desk.
Hope this helps.

Leah McCracken
Serials Coordinator
Carl B. Ylvisaker Library
Concordia College
901 8 Street South
Moorhead MN 56562
mccracke@cord.edu
(218) 299-4252

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:14:16 -0500
From: Marcia Trauernicht <mstwml@RITVAX.ISC.RIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries (Sophia
Fragou)

I haven't seen any responses on the list to Sophie's request on
circulation policies for serials, particularly in academic libraries.  I
am also interested in finding out if other libraries allow serials to
circulate, and if so, what restrictions apply.

Currently my library does not allow any serials to leave the building
(current issues, bound volumes or film).  Now some faculty and grad.
students are asking that they be allowed to check out journals and take
them back to their office.  Our director is interested in examining this
question more fully, so we are in the processing of gathering
information on the pros and cons of this issue.

Any information, either for or against circulating serials, would be
greatly appreciated.  If you do allow the circulation of serials at your
library, please give an outline of  who is eligible to check them out,
the loan period, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Marcia S. Trauernicht
Head of Cataloging/Serials
Wallace Library
Rochester Institute of Technology
90 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY  14623-5604
(716) 475-7292
mstwml@rit.edu

2)_____

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:43:57 -0600
From: Cheryl Riley <riley@LIBSERV.CMSU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries
 (MarciaTrauernight)

We are a medium sized comprehensive regional university.

We circulate our bound volumes overnight.  Fines are equal to those we assign for
reserve materials (about 4 times higher).

Cheryl

3)_____

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:45:07 -0500
From: "Gilbert, Debra" <Debra.Gilbert@PURCHASE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries (Marcia Tra
 uernight)

I am a periodicals assistant in a mid-sized academic library.  Our current
periodicals are kept in an "open" periodicals room where people are free to
browse the shelves, but current issues can not be checked out. Bound volumes
do circulate for 2 days to only students and faculty of the university, not
outside borrowers.

Debra Gilbert

4)______

Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:58:35 -0600
From: Kaye Talley <KayeT@mail.uca.edu>
 Trauernight)

The University of Central Arkansas' official policy is that no
journals, bound or unbound, circulate.  However, we do allow
faculty to checkout bound or unbound issues to take to their
offices.  We don't advertise this exception to the rule but if a faculty
member asks about it we will let them.  The faculty member must
make arrangements with me before checking anything out.  This
has to be done during regular office hours (8-5 Monday-Friday);
they can't just show up on the weekend or at night.  My student
workers are instructed to not let anyone check anything out.

Once they've contacted me, they can send a graduate student over
to actually get the material.  Our bound volumes are not barcoded
so we do a manual type of checkout in the Serials Department.
Sometimes a student will need to a color photocopy of an
illustration and we will let the student take the volume to get a color
copy.  We don't have a color copier in the library unfortunately.  We
don't have a set period of time for checkout.  We ask them how
long they need the material and go from there. This has worked for
us fairly well; we've only had a few people that we've had to track
down to get our material back, most are really good about returning
it in a timely fashion. Our university has approximately 9,000
students and 300 faculty so you can get an idea of our size.  Our
current journal holdings are approximately 1000 titles.

Kaye Talley

Kaye M. Talley
Associate Professor
Coordinator of Technical Services