Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries (Carol Morse) Marcia Tuttle 15 Nov 2001 21:00 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:40:51 -0800
From: Carol Morse <MorsCa@WWC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Journals circulation in academic/branch libraries

We circulate all journals that aren't current for one day, or 3 days for
grad students.  The faculty can keep any library material (except videos)
till the end of the quarter.  We barcode some issues at check-in (the ones
we think will be checked out).  Circulation workers barcode the others "on
the fly" at their counter.  We find that the college community expects the
service, since it has been done for years.  There is also a minimum of
vandalism.  There are still a few issues that "walk away."  Some of this
has been prevented by putting a few strategic titles on permanent 2-hour
reserve behind the circulation desk.  Hope this helps.  Personally, I
wouldn't want to go back to the vandalism I experienced in another library
before. Carol Morse

Carol Morse                                                  Tel.  509) 527-2684
Serials Librarian                                             Fax 509) 527-2001
Walla Walla College Library                     Email  morsca@wwc.edu
104 S.W. Adams St.
College Place, WA  99324-1586

Give us strength for the journey and wisdom to know the way.