Re: Binding Schedule Methodogy -- Sharon Wieczorek Stephen Clark 28 Nov 2001 18:59 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Binding Schedule Methodogy -- Regina Beach
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:46:56 -0500
From: Sharon Wieczorek <swieczor@MERCYHURST.EDU>

We are a small academic library with about 800 subs which uses student
workers. I am the only person in the serials department. We send binding
out
13 times a year and usually try to send about 60 titles per shipment.
These
numbers are used to calculate how much money to keep encumbered at any
one
time for budget purposes.

What titles go for binding depends on what needs to be bound and what
part
of the term the school is in. I usually bind the frequently used titles
when
the students are on break. Otherwise I start with A and work to Z. I
also
have a list of retrospective titles that I use to fill in with when I
don't
have 60 current titles ready for binding.

I now use an Innovative Interface Incorporated Serials module which I
programed with the periodicity/binding history for each title. The
binding
program module can tell me what is ready for binding and I can print
"pull"
binding slips when needed for student workers to pull. I can even put
into
the system when the issues are out "to bind" and when they return but I
can
not automatically send the binding through the system because the
binding
company that I use does not work with I.I.I.

Before this automated system was installed, I had a chart/word document
that
listed the periodicity and binding unit of each binding title. I used
this
list to check the current display for issues ready to be bound. I would
make
the decision then whether to pull the title at that time or wait. It was
cumbersome and time consuming and not able to be transferred to student
workers.

The software database that we use from the binding company will print a
specific binding slip for each title and when done will print a list in
any
order that I need. This database has a history of all the volumes/issues
that have been sent for binding since we started doing business with
this
company.

Before we got this database, we hand typed a list which included the
title,
volume, month/year, color of book and type that we wanted. Then from
this
list we then hand typed a pre formed binding slip for each title to be
sent.
This was extremely time consuming but transferable to student workers.

Just some information from my corner of the world. Hope it helps.

Sharon Wieczorek
Serials Supervisor
Mercyhurst College
Hammermill Library