Victor Kamkin response... -- Christopher Waldrop Stephen Clark 29 Nov 2001 14:57 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Victor Kamkin response...
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:43:03 -0600
From: Christopher Waldrop <Waldrop@library.vanderbilt.edu>

As the person who wrote the original message for this list about
Kamkin, I think there are a few things I should clarify.

Kamkin has been a very good vendor for Vanderbilt University Library
for several years, and if they're now experiencing problems, we'd hate
to compound those problems by withdrawing all orders from them.

However, in the past months our claims have gone unanswered.
Queries sent by e-mail about a journal that showed up on our renewal
list but which we had not received in two years (and which I learned
from another source had ceased) went unanswered. When we
received the letter from Inform-Systema, we decided to take a wait-and-
see approach, but news we got from other places made me think that it
would be good to go ahead and act. I also spoke to a Kamkin
customer service representative who confirmed that they were having
problems, although we've never gotten anything in writing to confirm
this. While I can't condone unfair or illegal business practices, the
fact
that Kamkin didn't share with us the information they sent to the
Slavic list bothers me. Vanderbilt University Library doesn't subscribe
to a large number of Russian periodicals, but, to me, that makes it that
much more important that we make sure we get the ones we do keep.

Currently we're holding things as they are while we wait for more
information. At the same time, I can't help feeling that we're lucky to
have found out about this when we did. If we had discovered Kamkin
was having problems in February or March of 2002, or even later,
switching to another vendor would not only mean paying for the same
subscriptions again, it might mean that we would have to pay extra for
the 2001 issues we still haven't received.

Christopher Waldrop
Serials Coordinator