CODENs (2 messages) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 20 Dec 2001 20:47 UTC

2 messages:

1)______

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 15:07:02 -0500
From: Cindy Hepfer <hslcindy@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject: Re: CODENs (Bill Cohen)

Bill and David,

The American Chemical Society still assigns CODEN.  See
http://www.cas.org/PRINTED/coden.html, for basics -- including contact
information -- for the International CODEN Service.

If anyone reading Serialst is interested in background on CODEN, see an
interview by Connie Foster, the new editor of Serials Review, with Charles
W. Bishop, creator of the CODEN: "The Man behind the CODEN: Charles W.
Bishop" in Serials Review v.24, no. 3/4 (1998): 122-30.

Cindy Hepfer
Cindy Hepfer
Editor, Serials Review, 1985-2001
Head, Collection Management Services
Health Sciences Library, Abbott Hall
University at Buffalo
3435 Main Street
Buffalo, NY 14214-3002
716-829-3900 x124; Fax: 716-829-2211
hslcindy@buffalo.edu

2)______

Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:33:12 -0700
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: CODENs

Just to see what I could learn, I did a Google search for "coden".  I
only went through the first dozen screens, but the results included a
great many entries for serials from databases or from publishers,
showing that people were still using them in catalogs.

However, there was no sign that any agency or organization was still
assigning them, that you could apply for one, etc.  That isn't
definitive, but it seems unlikely that they're being currently
assigned.  I suppose one test would be to look at some new journals
and see if they have any.

In addition, the search produced a couple of "Dr. Coden"s and the town
of Coden, Alabama, USA.

Happy holidays,

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115  USA