Re: Marking PAC records to highlight preferred-use run -- Kevin M. Randall Stephen Clark 05 Dec 2001 20:55 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Marking PAC records to highlight preferred-use run --
ValerieHarris
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 14:28:42 -0600
From: "Kevin M. Randall" <kmr@northwestern.edu>

At 07:14 AM 12/3/01, Val Harris wrote:
>Here at Chicago Historical Society we want to enable our researchers to
>retrieve the PAC record for the serial run they really want to use. For
>example, we have several newspapers with the title "Chicago Daily News",
>but
>our users nearly always want to see the "Chicago Daily News" that was
>published 1875-1978, not the paper that's published in Rosemont
>1979-present. We would love to alert, that is, visually steer, users to
>the
>most commonly used record. In the old days, we would have marked the
>card-catalog card with a stamp or a colored sleeve, to set it apart from
>other runs. Is there any PAC equivalent? We use the Horizon ILS,
>by-the-by.

Not knowing for sure how Horizon handles uniform titles in its indexes,
could suggest assigning a uniform title to *each* of the records.  For
example:

         130 Chicago daily news (1875-1978)

         130 Chicago daily news (1979- )

         130 Chicago daily news (etc. etc.)

You might give it a try and see what happens in the OPAC.

Kevin M. Randall
Head of Serials Cataloging
Northwestern University Library
1935 Sheridan Road