Re: Claims questions -- Sharon Wieczorek Stephen Clark 14 Dec 2001 18:55 UTC

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Claims questions -- Linda Harding
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:35:41 -0500
From: Sharon Wieczorek <swieczor@MERCYHURST.EDU>

Hi,

Yes, there a lot of missing issues out there around the time of the
anthrax
scare. I found that some of them are starting to get here finally. I do
believe that pockets of mail were detained in areas around the country
and
are being searched carefully before being sent on its way. I will still
make claims after 45 days (computer generated lists) unless there is a
publisher request for a faster response or if the publisher has been a
problem before.

The other reason for late issues is the credit crunch and economic slow
down
in the publishing field. Some titles are not going to survive so you
need to
keep an eye on those kind of problem titles. I feel the publishing
industry
is taking a big hit economically right now and by next March, there will
be
about 25% fewer titles. I have been carefully monitoring the publishing
industry for over 30 years and all factors point to a major economic
impact
on publishing as a whole.

Hope this helps.

Sharon Wieczorek