Indexing of E-journal Components (Gerry McKiernan) ERCELAA@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu 03 Jan 2002 19:41 UTC

Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 13:23:42 -0600
From: Gerry Mckiernan <GMCKIERN@GWGATE.LIB.IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: Indexing of E-Journal Components

                       _Indexing of E-Journal Components_

      For a future presentation (and associated article), I am greatly
interested in learning about Any and All *automated* technologies used
for  Indexing  e-Journal Components.

      By indexing, I mean the identification and categorization of an
e-journal segment or component (e.g., Title, Author, Graph, etc.).
I am particularly interested in technologies that are currently used
or could be applied to identify components of Eclectic Journals such
as those listed in
EJI(sm), my registry devoted to 'Innovative E-Journal
Features, Functionalities, and Content'

         [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]

and

M-Bed(sm), my registry devoted to "Embedded Multimedia Electronic Journals"

          [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/M-Bed.htm]

      I am especially interested in  the automated indexing of
such 'eclectic' components as audio, video, and other 'embedded' components.

*e-Journals that employ automated indexing would be of GREATEST
interest!*

[I realize  that e-journals marked up in XML could more easily
 be indexed than non -XML  e-journals]

    This query is part of a broader investigation of efforts
that could facilitate the navigation of the components of e-journals
as well as the cataloging of
such e-journals [Presentation standards for journals do exist
(e.g., ISO 8: 1977), but studies have shown that there is *generally*
low compliance in print
journals. To my knowledge, a review has not been conducted yet
on the compliance of *e-journals* to national or international
presentation standards
[I hope to conduct one in my spare time [HA!] this Spring] ]

   As Always Any and All contributions, candidates, comments, critiques,
queries, Cosmic Insights, New Year Resolutions, Etc. Are Welcome!

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Embedded Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

                 "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                                                                  Alan Kay