Re: Pamphlet files, vertical files -policies Werner Lind 28 Jan 2002 14:28 UTC

I'm aware of the current fad of doing away with the vertical files, but
we've never even considered doing away with ours.  It is by far the most
efficient way of storing a good many regularly-received materials, as well
as single items, which simply aren't physically adapted for shelving in
the regular stacks.  The computer revolution hasn't significantly reduced
our patron's use of the vertical file; if they're made aware of something
in the vertical file they can use, they're as glad to get it as they were
before we got the Internet. (Of course, your library's needs and patron
preferences may be completely different!)
--
Werner A. Lind
Assistant Library Director