Re: Refereed vs. Academic Scholarly Steve Black 28 Jan 2002 18:26 UTC

Nancy,

  My understanding is that the data in the Serials Directory is
self-reported by the editors and publishers of the journals.  The data is
only as good as the information provided.  I interpret "peer-reviewed" and
"refereed" as synonymous, but that doesn't mean every editor and publisher
considers them to be the same.

  However, a journal can be scholarly without being peer-reviewed.  The
example you use, Adolescence, "relies for its contents mainly on solicited
material".  The front matter does ask for duplicate copies to be
submitted, but is silent on whether the articles go through peer review.
But the articles are certainly what I would call scholarly.

  For library instruction purposes, what I find difficult to explain are
scholarly journals that do not have works cited.  As a general rule of
thumb, one can tell patrons that scholarly articles have works cited.
But there are exceptions.  For example, Foreign Affairs is scholarly, but
the well-informed opinion pieces that make up most of the journal don't
have works cited. It is listed in the peer-reviewed index in the Serials
Directory, though.

  So, there are ambiguities (welcome to serials librarianship!), and the
data in EBSCO and Ulrich won't be 100% accurate, because it is
self-reported by the publishers.

Steve Black
Reference, Instruction, and Serials Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
392 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203