Re: Refereed vs. Academic Scholarly David Goodman 29 Jan 2002 00:28 UTC

This is not a simple question. Peer-reviewed means that the articles are
sent to outside reviewers who work in the same field as the author of the
article for their judgement. It says nothing about the quality of the
review.

Almost all first rate scholarly journals are peer-reviewed, and quite
rigorously. Some first rate scholarly journals are not peer reviewed. For
many years PNAS was not peer reviewed, and would print anything
contributed by a member of the National Academy of Sciences. Nonetheless
it was one of the very highest quality journals in the world.

Some peer reviewed journals are prepared to skip or truncate peer review
when an article from a trusted source is contributed. In perhaps the most
famous example, "Nature" printed Watson and Crick's paper on the structure
of DNA without formal peer review.

Many lower-quality peer reviewed journals are peer-reviewed in the sense
that reviews are obtained, but the editor will none the less apparently
print almost anything on the topic. I will not cite examples, but the
literature of many subjects, including librarianship, will furnish a great
many. Furthermore, in many cases the supplements or proceedings that
accompany or form part of some journals are peer-reviewed to a lesser
standard than the main portion.

So it isn't cut-and-dried. Peer review is only one of the criteria. One
must also examine the quality of the articles. Expert opinion is one way,
and citation analysis, which when used properly can be seen as a summary
of expert opinion, is another.

 David Goodman, Princeton University Biology Library
dgoodman@princeton.edu            609-258-3235