Re: Security Striping Loose Issues of Periodicals (3 messages) Birdie MacLennan 30 Jan 2002 17:15 UTC

3 messages, 109 lines:

(1)-----------------------
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:38:39 -0500
From:         Susan Davis <unlsdb@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Security Striping Loose Issues of Periodicals

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Anne Liebst wrote:

> How do other libraries handle security striping of new issues or older
> issues of periodicals that have not been bound?

Hi, here at UB we have a "formula" for taping current issues.  The cost of
taping all the issues is more than we care to pay (and is more labor
intensive), so we tape every other issue EXCEPT for issues going to our
Undergraduate Library.  We tape all of those.

However, our highest theft rate is for the issues at the Undergraduate
Library so the deterrent factor is pretty negligible, in my opinion.  The
impact of online access has also been minimal as far as less issues
turning up missing.  In one respect, I'm glad to see that students still
want to read print! :-)

And for those controlled circulation journals where users must leave ID,
they turn up missing just as often as the issues out on the shelves.

For our bound journals we send security strips to our binder who inserts
them when binding. We've been taping since before I arrived in 9/84 so I
am not aware of any effort to go back and retrospectively tape volumes.

Good luck!

Susan

Susan Davis                       Chair, Serials Section (ALCTS)
Head, Periodicals                    2001/02
Acquisitions Dept.
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Lockwood Library Bldg.
Buffalo, NY  14260-2200
(716) 645-2784
(716) 645-5955 fax
unlsdb@acsu.buffalo.edu

(2)-------------------------
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:57:23 -0600
From:         Jay Harris <JHARRIS@LISTER2.LHL.UAB.EDU>
Comments: To: "aliebst@BUMAIL.BAKERU.EDU" <aliebst@BUMAIL.BAKERU.EDU>,

Anne;

We use 3M tattle tape strips.  Our new check-ins are stripped and date
stamped on a daily basis after they are checked in.  All new issues and
new pre-bound volumes are stripped.  We provide the bindery with boxes of
strips to be placed in the newly bound volumes before they are returned to
the library.  Our library retains its print collection indefinitely so we
use security strips in everything we process, including audio tapes and
videocassettes.

The library stripped it's entire collection years ago so if one is found
that isn't stripped, we take care of it as it's discovered.  All current
issues are stripped in Collection Management before being sent to the
stacks.  All books are stripped in Cataloging as part of book processing
before being sent to the stacks.

We send an average of 100-150 volumes to the bindery every other week.
We remove some of the 3M strips from thin newsletters and journals which
are small in page content (4-16 pages/issue) before they're sent to the
bindery (i.e. Weekly Epidemiological Record) because they tend to bulk up
the spine.

Our hospital branch library has a different security system with different
security tags which are tracked using radio frequency detection.  The tags
are bulky and we've discovered that our bindery cannot always bind a
volume easily with multiple tags in a volume.  For these, we remove most
of the tags before sending the issues to the bindery and re-tag the volume
ourselves when they return.  It's a much smaller collection of current
titles and their total volumes bound each year is about 300-325.

Sincerely,
Jay Harris

University of Alabama at Birmingham
Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
Assistant Director for Collection Management
Mailto:  jharris@uab.edu

(3)---------------------------------------
Date:         Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:01:36 -0800
From:         Irma Nicola <INicola@APU.EDU>

a reply to Anne Liebst:

We always strip those items as with all regular sized items upon checkin,
so there is no difference in the way we treat unbound titles as far as
this security strip goes.

Irma H. Nicola
Serials Coordinator
Azusa Pacific University