Re: Hooray for pub patt change Betty Tobias 15 Jan 2002 18:49 UTC

Steve, talk to serial folks about some of the science publications.
"Published semi-monthly, except monthly in...." is one favorite.  We just
learned of a publication that changed titles in the middle of the year, and
the new publication may start with vol. #, and issue #4 - we are waiting to
see what the page numbering will be.

Betty Tobias
Science Library Associate
University of Richmond
Richmond, VA 23173
btobias@richmond.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Black [mailto:blacks@MAIL.STROSE.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 1:20 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Hooray for pub patt change

Being in the midst of the transition to a new library system, I've been of
late especially aware of publishers' infinitely creative publication
patterns.  My personal favorite is JAMA, "published weekly, except for
months with 5 Wednesdays".  [If anyone knows how to make that work in
Voyager Endeavor, please let me know].

So I'd like to publically thank the publishers of The Christian Century.
Formerly, their pattern was "weekly--except biweekly the first two weeks of
January and February, the last two weeks of March and April, from the third
week of May through September, and the last two weeks of October, November,
and December."  Apparently their spirit has been moved by the angels of
serials librarianship, for their fine magazine is now "published biweekly".
Hallelujah.

Steve Black
Reference, Instruction, and Serials Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
392 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203