510 Field (Steve Black) Marcia Tuttle 27 Feb 2002 16:50 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:49:01 -0500
From: Steve Black <blacks@MAIL.STROSE.EDU>
Subject: 510 Field

I find that for the records in our catalog, the 510 fields
(Citation/References Note, i.e. where indexed) are badly dated, and really
do not do the intended job.  Some indexes no longer exist, some have changed
their names, and many newly named and constituted databases have been
created since we downloaded our OCLC records.

It would be nice to provide links in an OPAC to indexes online that
index/abstract a journal, but that do not provide full text.  My
understanding is that one would use the 856 to link to full text.  But is
there a proper way to make links to online indexes that provide only
citations & abstracts?

Also, is it proper practice to list in the 510s all indexes that cover a
journal, or is it acceptable to only include the indexes available to the
library's patrons?  What's the reasoning behind that, one way or the other?

Curious,

Steve Black
Reference, Instruction, and Serials Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
392 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203