Summary of responses -- Combining serials collections (Anne Lynch) Marcia Tuttle 27 Feb 2002 18:31 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:46:57 -0500
From: Anne Lynch <anne.lynch@SIMMONS.EDU>
Subject: Summary of responses -- Combining serials collections

Here is a brief summary of responses on my questions about how to
approach the consolidation of a branch library into our main
academic library, with the possibility of going from alphabetical
to classified arrangement as well. A sincere thank you to all who
responded, some with detailed, lengthy responses.

-- The advice repeated most often was to inventory and measure
all the collections carefully, and use a spreadsheet to plot the
space needed for each title, along with projected growth room.
The shelves can then be labeled in preparation for the incoming
titles.

-- Most people that responded found it a very demanding project,
although one person admitted to enjoying it! Both perspectives
are useful to help me plan for the project. Everyone said that
the project took a lot of time. Those who seemed most pleased
with the process had some of their regular responsibilities
relieved for a period of time, or had additional staff assigned
to them temporarily to manage ongoing responsibilities while
handling the planning and/or project.

-- The importance of planning, communication, and publicity
throughout the project.

Thanks again!
Anne Lynch
Serials Librarian