? Keeping the books for membership titles (Steve Black) Marcia Tuttle 13 Feb 2002 16:24 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:25:37 -0500
From: Steve Black <blacks@MAIL.STROSE.EDU>
Subject: ? keeping the books for membership titles

I'm curious how others do their accounting for journals paid for as a group,
that are not priced separately.  A very simple example would be the Academy
of Political Science membership, which inclues PS and Political Science
Quarterly.  I see two ways to keep the books:

1.  Divide the membership price among the titles, or

2.  Create a line for the membership, and put the whole price there.

One would have to divide the price to calculate cost per use, but for some
groups of journals it may not make sense to divide the price equally.  But
how do you decide how to split the price?  Is it better to just look at use
as a group, since that's how they're purchased?

Please note that I'm not referring to journals paid for as a group but
priced separately, e.g. the American Chemical Society journals.  I'm
interested in how you deal with the ones with no break-down of the price
provided by the publisher.

If you reply to me at blacks@mail.strose.edu, I'll summarize for the list.

Thank you,

Steve Black
Reference, Instruction, and Serials Librarian
Neil Hellman Library
The College of Saint Rose
392 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203