Combining serials collections (Anne Lynch) Marcia Tuttle 18 Feb 2002 16:37 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:14:32 -0500
From: lyncha2@SIMMONS.EDU
Subject: Combining serials collections

This summer, our Graduate School of Social Work branch library
(currently located at a separate campus) will be combined with our main
campus library. A moving company will bring the journals over from the
satellite campus to the main campus. While we are still working out
details, I believe the library staff will unpack and shelve the
collection, integrating the GSSW journal collection with our main
journal collection. The main library journal collection will remain in
the space it is currently located. A special book collection that
currently shares the space will be relocated elsewhere in the library.
The relocation of the special book collection will free up adequate
space for the GSSW journals, along with room for growth in both the main
and GSSW collections.
I am looking for advice from anyone with experience in combining two
separate collections into one. Currently both journal collections are
alphabetized, not classified. We are considering changing to a
classified arrangement. Any advice on the logistics of combining two
collections into one arrangement (whether classified or alphabetized)
will be most welcome. I will summarize the results for the list. Thanks
in advance!
Anne Lynch
Serials Librarian
Simmons College Libraries