XML for E-Journals Examples (Gerry Mckiernan) Marcia Tuttle 18 Feb 2002 21:07 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:51:27 -0600
From: Gerry Mckiernan <GMCKIERN@GWGATE.LIB.IASTATE.EDU>
Subject: XML for E-Journals Examples

                               _XML for E-Journals Examples_

      I am greatly interested in e-journals that have implemented the use of
XML for markup, display, and navigation. As many are aware, XML is envisioned as the Next Generation framework for electronic journal publication. Yet, while there are literally *hundreds* of books on the topic, I am not cognizant of the  e-journals (or e-journal publishers) that have actually *applied* this technology.

I am aware of one example and  listed in it EJI(sm), my registry of Innovative E-Journal  Features, Functionalities, and Content:

        [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI.htm ]

  [  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/EJI2.htm#XML ]

[Actually I've just learned of another _MRS Internet Journal of Nitride Semiconductor Research_ that makes use of eFirst XML, a version developed and made available by Openly Informatics, Inc.]

                             [  http://www.openly.com/efirst/]

 In addition to XML use in general, I am also interested in e-journals that employ specific XML based application specifications (e.g., MathML
[ http://www.w3.org/Math/]

NOTE: I am interested in the Front End functionality of XML applications *not*
the Production End.

   As Always and All contributions, candidates, suggestions, comments, queries, Scientific Secrets, Cosmic Insights, Etc. Etc. Etc. are Most Welcome!

   Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Marked-Up Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck@iastate.edu

BTW:  There are a *number* of excellent XML resources including

   XML.com  [ http://xml.com/ ]
   XML Cover Pages [ http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/sgml-xml.html ]

and of course

 Extensible Markup Language (XML)