Re: J of Biological Chemistry (Mark Hemhauser) Marcia Tuttle 19 Feb 2002 22:10 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 16:04:49 -0500
From: Mark Hemhauser <mbhhbm@AMERICAN.EDU>
Subject: Re: J of Biological Chemistry (Kira Haimovsky)

Yes, we also are experiencing problems with the Journal of Biological
Chemistry. The publisher refuses to honor a claim for the Sept. 7, 2001
issue. Our first claim was "too early" less than thirty days. Our second
claim was too late, greater than 90 days. They did not say anything about
not honoring either claim until our third claim which was prompted by this
discussion. We had a problem with a previous issue from them as well and it
took several attempts to get the issue. Our first claim was made two days
after the following issue arrived. As far as I'm concerned that is adequate
waiting. The publisher has told us that we can buy the issue for $40.00. It
seems to me that if you have claimed the issue "too early" and then again
"too late" you have established the fact that the issue did not arrive and
should get it. We will be claiming this title early and often (every ten
days), henceforth.

In the meantime, I will call them directly.

Mark Hemhauser
American University Library

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:38:27 -0500
From: Marilyn Gane <mgane@ANDREWS.EDU>
Subject: J of Biological Chemistry

Have any of you been having trouble with delivery and claiming of the
Journal of Biological Chemistry?

We claimed v276:35, the August 31, 2001 issue, only to be told that we
were 5 days too early for the publisher to accept our claim. When we
reclaimed we were told that we were now 5 days too late!!
Direct calls to the publisher have yielded the response that "we can buy
the missing issue" - at $1750 for a year's subscription, I'm not really
interested in paying for the same issue twice!

Do any of you have any suggestions or am I the only one experiencing
this problem with the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular
Biology?

Please respond directly to me at mgane@andrews.edu

TIA

Marilyn Gane