Centralizing Technical Services (Alice Wong) Alice Wong 22 Mar 2002 14:40 UTC

Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:21:36 +0800
From:         Alice Wong <amywonga@HKUCC.HKU.HK>
Subject:      Centralizing Technical Services

Dear Colleague,

        I am the Acting Serials Librarian of an academic library. My
Library is proposed to centralize the technical services in near future.
At present, we have 3 branch libraries at remote sites that process its
serial ordering, checkin, claiming etc. They set up its own accounts for
all the related issues.

        Serials Department at the Main Library has no authority and
control on their order and checkin records. The library system we are
using is INNOPAC. I would like to gauge your comments and share your
experiences on this.

(1) Has any one of your library gone through such centralizing exercises
before?
(2) What are the implications of such centralization?
(3) Did you have a smooth migration? How?
(4) What complicated the situation is that we are also planning for the
migration to Millenium module of INNOPAC, any advice?

Any hints and comments will be highly appreciated. If you wish to send me
your comments off the list , please email to amywonga@hkucc.hku.hk I will
compile a digest to those interested.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,