Re: Putting JSTOR and MUSE in OCLC (Dan Lester) Marcia Tuttle 05 Mar 2002 13:39 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:54:12 -0700
From: Dan Lester <dan@riverofdata.com>
Subject: Re: Putting JSTOR and MUSE in OCLC (Allison Mays)

I don't want to get into a fuss over "my system is better than yours",
but I'd be sure, if I were looking for a commercial service to do
this, that I checked out the competition as well.  We chose TDNet over
SerialSolutions, due to a number of features that they offer, such as
weekly updates instead of bimonthly, and extensive statistics on usage
of the items in the database.

Our implementation includes all of our serials, whether hard copy,
microform, or electronic, and whether dead or alive.

cheers

dan

I have 2 words for you: Serials Solutions.  It's a small company in Seattle
that creates a list of all of your e-journals from whatever
aggregator/vendor that supplies them.  We have been putting in records for
JSTOR and Project Muse titles, but I agree that it's time-consuming. If I
had it to do over again, I'm not sure I would do it because it's redundant
with the SS list. Take a look at our list at
http://library.millsaps.edu/library/search%20tools/journals.shtml - click on
the letters to see how the list looks.   We elected to include our print
titles; it was a bit of a pain but we felt it was worth it.  You tell SS
which aggregators (Proquest, JSTOR, Muse) you subscribe to and they go in
with their magic software and pull all of those titles into one, nice, neat
list with the dates of covereage.  You get an updated report every 2 months,
and you can get it in print and HTML; other formats are available also.
Check out their website at www.serialssolutions.com
I guarantee it'll be the best money you've spent in awhile!

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA