Re: Centralizing Technical Services (John D. Crissinger) John D. Crissinger 22 Mar 2002 22:49 UTC

Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:45:14 -0500
From:         "John D. Crissinger" <crissinger.5@OSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Centralizing Technical Services (Alice Wong)

Alice, just a comment or two as a regional library depending on in part on
the main campus:

 - periodicals-we check in our own; if main did it we would have to do it
again anyway to be sure we actually receive the issues at our campus;

 - cataloging-we do the copy cataloging at our campus, attach our holdings
to main's record.

        - original cataloging is done by main. We send a photocopy of the
needed item to main and occassionally have to send the piece; we are
totally at the mercy of main in terms of priority, sometimes that is no
problem; we have a good cataloger now who keeps our stuff flowing, but we
have had really poor service in the past when ours was low priority
because main's had to be done first (not acceptable to us); we maintain
our own serial holdings on the holdings screen but main has to enter the
original record;

we also use III and the conversion to the millenium is not without its
problems. Having some difficulty with others ticking our checkin record so
when we go to add our issue it looks like a dup, is a problem.

We maintain our own serial budget so there is no need for main to be
involved with ordering and claiming.

When mailing things back and forth for processing, time is lost (depends
upon your courrier) and what happens at the other end, not often
fortunately but every now and then something gets lost and it takes
forever before it is found (had a book come to us during the winter that
had been sent for cataloging a loooooooooong time ago (we are talking
years) so those oops do happen, be ready for them and the grief they
bring.

At 09:40 AM 3/22/2002 -0500, Alice Wong wrote:

>Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:21:36 +0800
>From:         Alice Wong <<amywonga@HKUCC.HKU.HK>
>Subject:      Centralizing Technical Services
>
>Dear Colleague,
>
>        I am the Acting Serials Librarian of an academic library. My
>Library is proposed to centralize the technical services in near future.
>At present, we have 3 branch libraries at remote sites that process its
>serial ordering, checkin, claiming etc. They set up its own accounts for
>all the related issues.
>
>        Serials Department at the Main Library has no authority and
>control on their order and checkin records. The library system we are
>using is INNOPAC. I would like to gauge your comments and share your
>experiences on this.
>
>(1) Has any one of your library gone through such centralizing exercises
>before?
>(2) What are the implications of such centralization?
>(3) Did you have a smooth migration? How?
>(4) What complicated the situation is that we are also planning for the
>migration to Millenium module of INNOPAC, any advice?
>
>Any hints and comments will be highly appreciated. If you wish to send me
>your comments off the list , please email to amywonga@hkucc.hku.hk I will
>compile a digest to those interested.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards,
>Alice
>
>Alice Wong <<amywonga@HKUCC.HKU.HK>

********************************
  JOHN D. CRISSINGER
  NEWARK CAMPUS LIBRARY
  OSU-N/COTC
  1179 UNIVERSITY DR.
  NEWARK, OH 43055
********************************

   Tele:        740-366-9306
   Fax:         740-366-9264
   Email:       crissinger.5@osu.edu

"As thousands of immigrants poured out of the steerage of the ships that
brought them here to find squalid shelter in our slums, the libraries
threw open their majestic doors and welcomed the poor, the huddled masses
yearning to breathe free.  The lady holding her lamp in the harbor may
have been the symbol, but the librarian raising her date-due stamp was the
true provider of liberty."
........From The Invisible Child by Katherine Paterson