Security for loose journals (Jody Morris) Marcia Tuttle 05 Mar 2002 13:47 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:38:06 -0500
From: "Morris, Jody" <Jody.Morris@FEMA.GOV>
Subject: Security for loose journals

I know this topic has come up many times before, but....

I am at a small, specialized library.  We carry about 400 serials and bind
about half that, maybe less.  We have a Checkpoint system that operates on
radio frequency and currently use square tags in the books and on the videos
that set off the alarm.

Currently, we keep all loose, yet-to-be-bound journals locked up, but due to
a renovation that will give us a LOT more room, we are considering keeping
the loose journals available for students to just take them off the shelves.
I am worried about this, and have been asked to find out what other
libraries are doing.

If your library has a similar Checkpoint system and you  tag your loose
journals, could you email me and tell me what you use and how well they
work?  Do students just find them and rip them out?  Also, when you bind the
journals, how do you remove the tags?  Anything else you can tell me would
be helpful.

Thanks!

Jody Morris
National Emergency Training Center Library
FEMA
Emmitsburg, MD

jody.morris@fema.gov
(301) 447-1354